Customize the Recorder with extensions
You can customize the Recorder and integrate it into your workflow by installing third-party extensions that suit the tools you use.
Check out the list of known extensions.
If you can't find an extension that suits your tools, consider building your own.
To integrate the Recorder with your tools, install extensions:
- Choose an extension from the list of known ones and click its link.
- In Chrome Web Store, click Add extension.
- Open DevTools in a new tab and find new custom options in the Recorder.
This screenshot shows custom export and replay options provided by the extensions.
You can get to the list of known extensions from the Recorder. Select Export > Get extensions... at the top of the Recorder panel.
List of known extensions
Currently, there are two types of extensions: Export and Replay.
Note: This feature is available from Chrome version 104.
Export extensions let you to customize the code generated by the Recorder panel:
- CodeceptJS extension
- This extension lets you export JSON user flows as CodeceptJS test script. CodeceptJS is a supercharged End 2 End Testing.
- Cypress extension
- This extension lets you export JSON user flows as Cypress test script. Cypress is a front end testing tool built for the modern web.
- Nightwatch extension
- This extension lets you export JSON user flows as Nightwatch test script. Nightwatch is an end-to-end testing solution for web applications and websites.
- Owloops extension
- This extension lets you export recordings as Owloops tests.
- Testing Library extension
- This extension lets you export JSON user flows as Testing Library script. Testing Library has simple and complete testing utilities that encourage good testing practices.
- WebdriverIO extension
- This extension lets you export JSON user flows as WebdriverIO test script. WebdriverIO is an end-to-end testing solution for web, mobile and IoT applications and websites.
- WebPageTest extension
- This extension lets you export user flows from the Recorder directly as WebPageTest Custom scripts to measure site's performance. See Converting user flows to WebPageTest custom scripts to learn more.
Note: This feature is available from Chrome version 112.
Replay extensions let you run the recordings produced by Recorder using a third-party service, without leaving DevTools.
Note: Currently, there are no known replay extensions. Check out an example extension.
If you don't see export or replay options after installing an extension, check or do the following:
- The extension only works on web pages. For example, the export option is not available for
- Always open a new browser tab after installing the extension.
- Issue 1351416 in Chrome 104 and 105 prevents the display of the export option if you open the Recorder as the first DevTools panel. As a workaround, open another panel first (for example, Console), then open the Recorder. The issue is fixed in Chrome 106.
Build your own extension
To further customize the Recorder to your needs, you can build your own extension:
- Explore the chrome.devtools.recorder API.
- Check out example extensions.
- Develop your extension and publish it at Chrome Web Store.
- Feel free to add it to the list of extensions on this page.